Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tears of Joy: Cirque Fan


August 24, 2002

Hi, folks,

Just wanted to let you know in writing how much I enjoyed your summer circus.  I saw it twice at the Fringe, and again last Saturday at the BLB.  By the third show, I almost felt like part of your troupe, because I stood up for a heartfelt ovation at the same time you stood up to take your bows.  (I was the big guy in the first or second row of the risers.)

Even having read Jay's cover story in the City Pages last spring, as well as a few of the early Fringe reviews, I was totally blown away by your show.  It was surprising, and beautiful, and breath-taking at every turn; all the elements worked together as performance art in ways I had never expected and still have trouble articulating.  (For my attempt at articulation, please take a look at my audience review on the Fringe Web site.  I really did leave the BLB giggling and sobbing that first time.  In fact, I lost my way and walked into a parked bicycle, I was so distracted.  Well, rather than be embarrassed, I'll consider that my contribution to your multimedia, multi-sense, multi-sensational performance art!)

I brought my wife and a 15-year-old family friend to your show last Saturday.  They loved it, but were a little put off by Ansley and Tierney's outfits.  I thought they were great - the all-white theme was really cool, and Ansley looked at the beginning like a circus performer who was going to ride around the ring standing atop a white stallion.  And when that heavenly voice came out of her mouth right after you started, I was first startled, then intrigued, then absolutely mesmerized.  The contrast between visual expectation and aural experience was a terrific introduction to a series of non-stop delights.  Heck, after you hooked us in with your acrobatic voices and hands and bodies, what you were wearing receded into the background - you could have been wearing white t-shirts and painter's pants for all it mattered...Wait, isn't that what Jay WAS wearing?

So I bought your album after the first show, and I just love the music.  Terrific job composing and performing, Ochen.  Would you be willing to send me the lyrics?  I've followed enough of them by ear to be enchanted and intrigued.  And I want to look for evidence of your work at the Walker.  I've been to a number of terrific musical shows there, stretching back to Boiled in Lead when Todd Menton was still with them.  Most recently I was blown away by the Bang-On-A-Can All-Stars and Gao Hong's international pipa-based show.

Tierney, I bought your album and loved it.  (Although I have bone to pick with you, Jay - you told us that you were featured on her solo album.  What's up with that? {giggle})  I hope to catch one of your shows next week.  (Although my loyalties are divided: Your are competing with my kids in a community theater production of "Pirates of Penzance" at Como Lakeside Pavilion, and I've only seen it three times so far...)

Ansley, I hope you read this - I couldn't find an e-mail address for you.  Do you have any albums out?  And I see that you're part of the juggling community, too - tell me more about your "latin devil sticking number" at the IJA in Madison in '99...

Jay, would you e-mail me more information on the two jugglers coming to Mpls, who you mentioned at the end of your show?

Have a great time teaching and learning in Europe, Jay and Ochen.  I look forward to seeing more of your work, all four of you.  (In fact, I just bought a new bass clarinet and have fantasies about providing audio and visual contrast and counterpoint at your next all-white show...)

I'd love to stay in touch, and to offer what support I can, beyond being an avid audience member.

Take care, and keep "up" the good work, all of you!
Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment