Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tears of Joy: Sur Mississippi


October 7, 2006

Bonjour, mes amis!

It has been a beautiful week, weather-wise, in Minnesota. And a beautiful week of getting repeatedly lost in "Songs for Swans", as well.  I had a great conversation with Bryan over dinner the other day, where we talked in detail about that album.  He told me about his experiences in the recording studio with you.  I pointed out some numbers that really moved me:

"Ohio", for one.  I was a student at another college in Ohio when the Kent State shootings happened.  Your unique interpretation of that song led me, on my first listening, to a slowly dawning realization, followed by a shiver and a shout when Gwen starts in on the first "Tin soldiers" line.

"Four Women" for another.  I told Bryan about your spare motif that opens that song, Denis, and then gets repeated frequently, in a way that seems new every phrase!  Your depth of expression on the bass clarinet astounds me, and moves me to tears, loud guffaws, broad smiles, and baffled, head-shaking expressions of "Merde!", sometimes all at once!

Mixed news on the CD front:  If you have mailed me any, they haven't arrived yet. Denis, whatever you are able to conveniently bring with you would be great.  However, I scored a copy of "Trois!"  An extensive Web search led me to Amazon.fr, who claimed to have it, with a 10-15 day shipment time.  I just got an e-mail this morning, saying that "Trois" was in the mail.  Magnifique!

A visit to Paris, eh?  Sounds like a VERY intriguing idea...

In the meantime, tell me your Etats Unis gig schedule outside of Sur Seine.  Bryan tells me you're going to play in Duluth!

Music IS the healing force of the universe!

Regards,
Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment