Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tears of Joy: Ruth MacKenzie Sighting

February 26, 2001

Hiya people,

Ruth RULES!  I saw her and a stream-load of very talented musicians and dancers yesterday in Kalevala: Dream of the Salmon Maiden at O'Shaugnessey Auditorium.  Just a few bars into her first solo, I found myself weeping openly.  I swear, that woman could recite the passing floor numbers on an elevator and move me to tears!

After this experience, and reflecting on my musical wanderings and awakenings over the last several years, I've come to an understanding:  Music is my religion.  And, as I told Pat this morning, Watch out!  CDs are my pamphlets, and I'm gonna come knockin' on your doors to spread the word.

The Kalevala CD is in my office...

I also want to spread the word about the upcoming Rumblings show at the Southern Theater.  Jane and I saw this last year, because my sax teacher Jeff King played in this show.  It was our first introduction to Ruth MacKenzie, and it was fantastic!  She and Bradley Greenwald sang some outstanding solos and duets, while interacting rhythmically and emotionally with a 4-piece jazz-blues combo and members of the Minnesota Dance Theater.  The repertoire even included some Leonard Cohen songs!  

See
... and be healed!

Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment