Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tears of Joy

For many years, I avoided crying.  Too much emotion.  In 1963, after living overseas for two intense years in a small expatriate community, I was the only one in my family who didn't cry aloud as our plane took off for the States.


Long story short, my tune has changed, as over the last 14 years I've made increasingly deep forays into the right side of my brain.  I have discovered a more emotional, more creative side to Mr. ANALytical, most readily evidenced in my love of music.


As I think I said at the beginning of this blog, I crave the thrill of music taking me away from emotional neutrality, in any direction. So I'm going to devote my next dip into the archives to tracing my writing about music and other art forms moving me to tears.


Side note: As I was developing this blog theme over the last few days, I was reminded of Blind Faith's single, self-titled album from 1969.  As the driving rhythm of "Tears of Joy" welled up in my head, I started searching YouTube for a video.  Couldn't find it, mainly because 


the thing I was hearing was only the sound
of The Low Spark of... 


no, it was "Sea of Joy", which title I was probably conflating with "Had to Cry Today" from the same album.


Anyhow, enJOY...

2 comments:

  1. Bob Dylan's wonderful line "I feel my Soul is Expanding" comes to mind.

    Perhaps you are finding yourself in the "Presence of the Lord."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, brother Bryan!

    Music is my religion. Watch out! CDs are my pamphlets, and I'm gonna come knockin' on your doors to spread the word.

    ReplyDelete